Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A little way to broaden your child's vocabulary

One thing that all moms of toddlers and preschoolers do constantly is respond to their children's musings. "Look at this mommy," is something most moms hear about 223 times a day. One small way to advance your children's vocabulary (and add some variety to your life) is to respond with new expressions as often as you can. Rather than, "Wow, that's pretty neat," add in an occasional, "Fabulous," "That's unique," or any other appropriate phrase for the situation.

I'll never forget the first time I asked my son if he'd get something for me and he said, "Of course, mom." I realized that if I had taught him "of course" just by saying it, then I could also teach him, "I'd be happy to do that for you," "absolutely," and "it would be my pleasure." I really look forward to hearing that one someday!

No comments: