Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tip of the Week: Talk to the kids as if they're adults.

Building a strong vocabulary early on is one of the greatest gifts you can give a child, which is why reading, labeling their world verbally, and speaking to children in complete, clear sentences are all so important. There is actually a link between language development and overall cognition, because language is so intertwined with meaning.

Use "big" words with your children, even at an early age, and they will come back to surprise and delight you by using them too. I will never forget when my just turned two-year-old turned to me at the local park and said, "Mom, the black swing's available." "What?" I replied. "You would like a bagel?"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree! It's pretty fun and amazing to hear your child use "big" words in the right context!

Indi often picks out books at the library that I think are way over his head, but we plow through them anyway. Then, out of the blue one day he'll say something that I know he picked up from one of those books.

Jenn