Friday, January 23, 2009

Another idea about toy clean up

This comes from Parenting with Love and Logic, which has been a helpful resource. It is never good to keep nagging toddlers/preschoolers to do their responsibilities because it gives them all the power to drag the process out. It is much easier just to offer an alternative choice. If my kids stall and play around and don't get to work, I simply say I'll set the timer and when it beeps, everything left out goes in the "big bag." That means what's left gets taken away. I have also said, "If you don't clean up the toys, I can clean them up." They know that this means they will get cleaned up for good, and they have only once chosen this option.

Many parents might think this approach is too tough, but my kids have a lot of love, fun, and play in their lives. Taking care of their own responsibilities is something that I believe needs to be a "given." I also don't believe that most kids will naturally, happily complete their jobs without some training.

What I can say is that after having done some training in this area my twins most often happily clean up, looking forward to showing me how "proud" they are of the room they cleaned. I can't remember the last time the "big bag" came out.

No comments: